Chicken stewed in coconut milk. This is a simple Filipino dish wherein chicken is sautéed in garlic, onion, and ginger then stewed in coconut milk. A more traditional approach requires native hen usually grown in the backyard. It is much tastier compared to broiler chickens and adds more flavor to the dish. It’s really good taste and additional servings of rice.
1. 2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
2. 2 cups coconut milk
3. 1/2 bunch spinach
4. 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
5. 1 large onion, sliced
6. 2 tbsp. ginger
7. 8 ounces green papaya, wedged
8. 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
9. 1 piece long green chili (optional)
10. 4 pieces Thai chili or sili labuyo
11. 2 tbsp. cooking oil
12. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the cooking pot and pour-in the cooking oil.
2. Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger.
3. Add the chicken and cook until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
4. Pour-in the coconut milk while stirring and bring to a boil.
5. Sprinkle some paprika then simmer for 30 minutes of until the chicken is tender and the coconut milk becomes thick.
6. Add the long green chili and Thai chili then simmer for 5 minutes
7. Add the green papaya then simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
8. Put-in the spinach, salt, and pepper then simmer for 3 minutes.
9. Turn-off the heat then transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate
10. Serve hot and Enjoy!!!